Here is the lineup of multi-channel Onkyo receiver models for the model year 2019.
Now let’s take a look at popular older models.
People exploring the lower budget end of the home entertainment systems are looking for affordable ways to maximize performance and features without breaking the bank.
Engineers have realized that and put this knowledge into the newest entry-level audio/video (A/V) receiver, the Onkyo TX-SR308.
TX-SR308 home theater receiver is not only ready for the new 3D video future (with its latest HDMI 1.4 specifications). In addition to that TX-SR308 can handle DTS and Dolby high-definition lossless audio codecs, for example, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.
The engineers in this unit have combined the advanced A/V processing and lots of convenient features, such as:
- audio inputs on front panel for direct connection of iPods and other MP3 players,
- new overlaid On-Screen Display (OSD) allows easy adjustment of settings
- Universal Port for connecting the peripherals.
With the TX-SR308, you get an AV receiver ready to work with the latest high-definition entertainment sources, today and in future.
- Output (2 channels driven) – 65 Watts per channel @ 8 Ohms, frequency range 20 Hz – 20 000 Hz, 0.7%
- OSD, 1080p video and sound processing via HDMI Version 1.4 connections – 3 inputs & 1 output – supports Dolby TrueHD, Master Audio DTS-HD , 3D Video Formats, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, x.v.Color, LipSync,
- Thru Universal Port can be connected optional dock for iPod or HD Radio Tuner
Onkyo is on its mission to deliver state-of-art sound and video playback quality to every home, no matter what income level it is.
The 7.1-channel TX-SR508 receiver is an entry-level home theater centerpiece which will unleash the real power all of your favorite AV entertainment sources.
Experienced engineers designed the Onkyo SR508 with processing and connectivity features that previously were only dreamed of at this price level:
- 4 pcs of 3D-ready HDMI 1.4 inputs allows connecting 4 high-definition signal sources
- It supports studio master quality High Definition Dolby and DTS sound recordings
- New surround sound possibilities are available to you because of compatibility with Dolby®Pro Logic® IIz
- Powered Zone 2 and bi-amping offers more flexibility in connecting speakers
- You can plug in even more peripherals and portable devices like MP3 players with Universal Port and front panel input
Engineers have utilized volume and equalization technologies developed by Audyssey to ensure exceptional listening comfort and a room-fitting soundstage.
- Output specs – 80W per channel at 8 Ohms (2 channels driven), range 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08%
- Supports playback of 2 separate sources in two rooms thru 2 sets of Line-outs
- Sound, OSD, and 1080p Video Processing via HDMI ports
- HDMI – 4 inputs and 1 output
- 4 DSP sound processing modes for videogames and entertainment: Role-Playing Games, Sports, Rock, and Action
Some will for sure call Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver an “entry-level” A/V receiver. Just let TX-SR608 show its real potential, and you will be convinced that its level is far above the entry level.
If you look at TX-SR608 A/V receiver, you will notice 6 pieces of latest standard HDMI 1.4 inputs for hooking up your high definition signal sources. The cool part is that this standard is compatible with the latest 3D picture format!
In addition to HDMI inputs, TX-SR608 features an analog RGB video input for connecting your PC and the unique Universal Port for connecting peripherals made by Onkyo. The signal from all video sources you can connect to your SR608 receiver can be upscaled to 1080p resolution and Faroudja DCDi Cinema feature.
Bells and whistles in audio processing department incorporate Burr-Brown DACs, lossless Dolby and DTS codecs, and the expanded surround formats of Audyssey DSX and Dolby Pro Logic IIz. If you want to hear more jargon, I will tell you that 3 stage inverted Darlington circuitry and jitter-cleaning technology work to provide precise and correct amplification.
The TX-SR608’s outstanding performance has earned THX Select2 Plus Certification for this device.
Onkyo AV Receiver Specifications
- THX Select2 Plus Certified
- Output power with stereo channels driven – 100 Watts per channel at 8 Ohms, 20 Hz – 20000 Hz frequency range, 0.08%
- Faroudja DCDi Cinema feature provides video upscaling to 1080p
- 7 HDMI connections – 1 front and 5 rear inputs, and 1 output
- Latest HDMI Version 1.4 supports 3D and Audio Return Channel with Deep Color, x.v.Color, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, and LipSync.
Onkyo TX-NR5009 and TX-NR3009 are two high-end integrated 9.2-channel AV receivers.
I did a quick research online about this multi-channel Onyko receiver which will replace current Onkyo TX-NR5008 model. Here is what I found.
Onkyo Receiver Connectivity
The Onkyo TXNR5009 seems to be very versatile AV receiver if you look at numerous connectivity options. Connect up to 8 HDMI devices to TX-NR5009 HDMI inputs (it even has 2 gold plated inputs), 2 USB devices and get video inputs from your PC thru RGB input.
There are few inputs that are specific to this brand. One is the Universal Port for adding Onkyo peripherals. Second option is free app for your Android or iPod touch or iPhone that turns your smartphone into a remote control for Onkyo receiver.
Of course network connectivity is present as well. It is kind of standard nowadays. You can plug in wired Ethernet out of t he box, or get optional UWF-1 wireless LAN adapter. I would say wired technology is still more reliable and provides better quality.
When the TX-NR5009 is connected to the internet, you can listen to Internet radio stations and streaming music services, for example Spotify, last.FM, Napster AUPEO! or vTuner. It is not clear if Pandora services also will be available with this receiver.
You can also stream content locally from your computer using DLNA 1.5 features or connect USB storage devices directly to your receiver. USB thumb drives also are supported.
This unit is compatible with wide variety of audio formats starting from audiophiles Super Audio CD down to FLAC, WMA Lossless, WAV, AAC, Ogg, and MP3.
Keep in mind that it is 9.2 channel device! That means you can use benefits of Zone 2/3 capability and play stereo audio from different sources in two other rooms.
Engineers have implemented something called Audyssey’s MultEQ XT32 room-correction and equalization technology which is designed to provide best possible audio performance in very room regardless of its shape and acoustics.
- Eight 1080p capable HDMI inputs (V1.4a repeater) including 1 Front with 2 outputs
- THX Ultra2 Plus Certification
- Massive Toroidal transformer for High current drive
- 4 Independent Power Supply for clearner sound
- Finest 192kHz/32bit Burr-Brown DACs
- isf Certified
- 4K scaling via Qdeo by Marvell HDMI
- 1080p video upconversion by HVQ Vida
- Wireless ready with optional UWF-1 wireless USB LAN adapter
- WRAT technology and discrete amp construction for cleaner sound
- TrueHD/DTS-HD decoding to support the latest Blu-ray technology
- PC Input
- Front and Rear Panel USB Inputs for Memory Devices and iPhone®/iPod® Models (Enables Display of Album Artwork)
- Optional iPod Dock / HDradio module via U.Port
- 4 DSP Gaming Modes: Rock, Sports, Action, and Role Playing
- Audyssey MultEQ XT32w/ Dynamic EQ & Dynamic Volume